Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I ran into an old girlfriend at my class reunion last month (actually ran into a couple of old girlfriends -- small school and we tended have shorter relationships than what is now the case). The last time I had seen her was about 10 years after high school when I called on her then husband at his store. I was a salesman for products that he sold in his store. After calling on him for some time, I stopped in once and the old girlfriend appeared. She saw my business card and had to come out from the back of the store to talk to me. Now, speed ahead a few decades and the next time we meet is at the reunion. She is now divorced and bitter about it, or at least that's what the body language and voice inflection told me. Since I didn't ask her probing questions about the divorce and how it all came about, it did get me wondering how she got where she is now -- the choices she made and why, and what were the alternatives? But she also made me think about my own decisions along the way when she asked me at the reunion if I ever did anything with my singing. You see, at one time, I kind of envisioned heading off to become an entertainer, most likely a singer. But that is not the path I ultimately took -- for many reasons, but it's now interesting to think back on those reasons and to wonder. Not to wish I had done something different or to bemoan the path I took, but just to wonder.

No comments: